Interested in sharing your love of history with fellow Philadelphians and city visitors? The Philadelphia History Museum is looking for dedicated and motivated volunteers to assist the Visitor Services Department. Whether you are interested in deepening your connection to the museum; becoming involved in your community; sharing your knowledge; gaining experience; building a resume or meeting new people; we are eager to hear from you!
- Greeting and orienting visitors to the Museum galleries
- Providing information on current exhibitions, artifacts on display, and the Museum’s collection and history
- Sharing knowledge of the city of Philadelphia, its history and its attractions
- Answering questions
- Assisting the Visitor Service Manager in selling tickets and store merchandise
- Helping maintain and care for the PHM’s public spaces
- Occasionally assisting with clerical tasks such as data entry
We ask for:
- A welcoming personality and a willingness to learn about the Museum
- A commitment of 10-15 hours per month
Shifts are scheduled Tuesday through Saturday between 10:00 a.m. and 4:45 p.m. and are 2 ½ to 6 ½ hours in length
- An interest in and capability to do the tasks listed above under Responsibilities (don’t worry, we’ll train you!)
- Background knowledge of Philadelphia, U.S. history, and local communities is encouraged but not required
Thank you for expressing an interest in becoming a volunteer for the Philadelphia History Museum at the Atwater Kent. Volunteer contributions of time, talent and resources are critical in fulfilling our mission. This past year, our dedicated volunteers contributed over 900 hours of service to the museum.
In early September, we will be hosting an orientation session for those who would like to learn more about our needs and requirements.
To receive more information and be placed on the Museum's volunteer interest list please email email@example.com. Your continued interest in our Hometown History Museum is greatly appreciated!