Interested in sharing your love of history with fellow Philadelphians and city visitors? The Philadelphia History Museum is looking for dedicated and motivated volunteers to assist the Visitor Services Department. Whether you are interested in deepening your connection to the museum; becoming involved in your community; sharing your knowledge; gaining experience; building a resume or meeting new people; we are eager to hear from you!
- Greeting and orienting visitors to the Museum galleries
- Providing information on current exhibitions, artifacts on display, and the Museum’s collection and history
- Sharing knowledge of the city of Philadelphia, its history and its attractions
- Answering questions
- Assisting the Visitor Service Manager in selling tickets and store merchandise
- Helping maintain and care for the PHM’s public spaces
- Occasionally assisting with clerical tasks such as data entry
We ask for:
- A welcoming personality and a willingness to learn about the Museum
- A commitment of 10-15 hours per month
Shifts are scheduled Tuesday through Saturday between 10:00 a.m. and 4:45 p.m. and are 2 ½ to 6 ½ hours in length
- An interest in and capability to do the tasks listed above under Responsibilities (don’t worry, we’ll train you!)
- Background knowledge of Philadelphia, U.S. history, and local communities is encouraged but not required
We are currently accepting new volunteers. If interested, please submit an application as described below. The steps in the application process are:
- Step 1: Application
Please submit the attached volunteer application and a resume. Include the hours and days that you are available and when you would like to start. If you have previously submitted a volunteer application to us, please email us with your updated availability and start date.
- Step 2: Interview
Potentials volunteers will be interviewed by the Visitor Services Manager before being accepted into the Volunteer Program to make sure volunteering at the Philadelphia History Museum would be a good fit both for PHM and for the applicant.
- Step 3: Orientation
Once accepted to the Volunteer Program, all applicants will be asked to complete an orientation before starting to volunteer.
Applications can be sent via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or via mail
to Attn: Visitor Services Manager, Philadelphia History Museum, 15 S. 7th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19106.